Friday 11 October 2013

All Ages Hardcore Matinee

This Sunday I will be excitedly attending, for the second time, the "All Ages Hardcore Matinee". The bands Withdrawal, Extract, Diefenbaker, and Empty Hands will be performing.
My friend Jillian likes the same music as I do so she'll be going along as well. Not only do we have that in common, but we also dress similar.
It's kind of ironic actually, in our own schools somebody could look at us and say we're "alternative", "different", or (we're pushing it here) "hipster". But when Jill and I enter that room we blend right in. Everybody who looks "alternative" looks the same. There's the black skinny jeans, facial piercings, tunnels, beanies, tattoos, Vans, clunky shoes, and rising underground brands like Supreme and Huf. It's as though all these weirdly adorned people crawled out of their record and tattered book filled dens and crowded into a small room to savagely shout into a mic, become partially deaf, and avoid being hit by wildly flailing men. But most of all to become part of the music.
It's a great experience, to say the least. The soaring levels of energy in that tiny space created by a handful of people who are so typically different is so thrilling. I couldn't help but smile like a fool when I stood back and watched this pandemonium play out in front of me.
I think I've finally found my niche.

1 comment:

  1. I love the voice of this post, Embiny. The specific details in your descriptions, the rhythm of your sentences--I could read them for a long time because the experience is pretty smooth.

    I'm looking forward to the pics and interviews.

    ReplyDelete